Sunday, November 1, 2009

Posting of Pie

For all of you that don't know, this past week I have been - well - Sick. I don't know what I have. It's doubtful that it's the pig cooties, but you never know. I haven't seen my doctor yet, just hashing things out at the house. Because of the sickness, I was home on Friday when the kids were here. And, Darrell was locked out of the room by the "Girls" (It's in quotations because Kayath was playing too... and Darrell insists that Kayath must be a girl as well). So, D came home all mopey and I offered to help him make a dessert from his book. While deciding he discovered that Mississippi Mud Pie is not really "PIE" at all... and this vexed him greatly. So, I offered to help him make a cherry pie.

After talking on the phone to the grandson of a sugar chemist, Darrell learned that he was the grandson of the grandson of a sugar chemist... and we began to work our magic on our cherry Pie.
I showed Darrell how to do a lattice top for the cherry pie. He made a huge mess with the flour while putting it on the table, but we managed to use it to our advantage with the dough.
Then I showed Darrell how to brush the tops of the lattice with egg white to give the pie a golden color while it was baking, and to help the lattice stick together properly. He even brushed the inside of the pie in certain places, he wanted to make sure that it was "Golden" everywhere.
Here's the little man getting ready to put it in the oven. It looks yummy and it isn't even done yet!
AHHHH! The finished product. Turns out that Aspen and Kennedy do not like Cherry Pie - such GIRLS... Oh well, more for me and D!
And Darrell gives the Pie TWO dumb thumbs up... Way to go dude! It was delicious!

1 comment:

The Woolston Family said...

Way to go D! Looks very yummy. Pretty lattice.