Saturday, July 19, 2008

DON'T BUST THE CRUST!!

The National Parks across the nation have a wonderful (Free) program for children of all ages. It's called the Jr. Ranger Program. It helps kids to find different things around the national parks, learn how to take care of the land, and many other things. Children can get their Jr. Ranger certificates from each different park too; so it's something that my kids have started looking forward to.

So, this will be the Second year that we have come to Colorado and partaken in the events of the Colorado National Monument. Last year the kids earned their Jr. Ranger badges, and this year, they have done it again. They learned about different plants, lizards, and the sediments on the rock. When it was all done with, Darrell says to me "I want to hug a tree now". Hmmmm... I'm raising a tree hugger?!!?!! (Ahem.. that doesn't need to be repeated.) Below is a shot of the kids working on their Jr. Ranger workbook. They were drawing pictures of the unique plants that are found in this region.
ANYWAY, I also figured out how to use the timer on my camera. So, I got some shots of me with the kids while we were there too. I had to get creative with the balancing of the camera... after all, I didn't have a tripod with me. So, the top of mom's car, and a tree, and a rock - those were some of the ways that I balanced the camera to get the shot. Seemed to work out pretty good.



LOL - I got the kids in front of Balanced Rock. What's funny about it is that I had them stand on a rock to get a little bit higher. When I showed this picture to mom she said "HA! They are balancing on a rock in front of balanced rock!" LOL... I didn't think about that when I took it, but it was pretty clever - wouldn't you agree?

So, after the kids got "Sworn in" they got to help the ranger take down the flag at the end of the day and learn how to fold it. That was pretty neat for them. They didn't know that it couldn't touch the ground or that only the stars would be showing after it got all folded up.

2 comments:

The Woolston Family said...

Cute pics. Looks like you are all having a fun time. How's the cleaning going?

Aislinn said...

FUN FUN FUN - I like the new blog too!