Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year - Startin' off right

Happy New Year everyone!  I am starting things off just right this year.  Last night (NYE) was totally fun.  We played games with the kids - realized that D-man can only have 3 properties and somehow still dominate at Monopoly - and I made soap.

Oh yes, you read that right!  S-O-A-P .. .. Actually, Laundry detergent.

I have said it before and I will say it again - I adore Pinterest.  I have resolved to do a great many things this year and I think that Pinterest is going to really help things.  One of my first ideas was that I wanted to start using things that would help me to save money.  I saw this recipe for Laundry soap on Pinterest, and it was not expensive to throw together - so I went for it.  the most expensive part was the jar that I bought - and I bought the jar because I didn't have one thing in this house that would work to hold my new concoction.

 So, first I bought everything that I needed:
1 Box of Borax
1 Box Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda
1 (3lb) Tub Oxi Clean
3 Bars of Fels Naptha
2 Boxes of Baking Soda
and 1 Jar to put it in

Then I got home and put it on the counter so I could take a picture of it.

 Then I went and got my 5 gallon Bucket and lined it with a trash bag to mix things together.  I grated the bars of Fels Naptha - which makes your whole house smell fantastic.  The woman on Pinterest did NOT lie when she said that.  And I blended all of the other ingredients.  I stirred it with my hands - and  just wanted to note that clean-up was a breeze - the Fels Naptha washed right off of the Grater with no problem at all.
When I was all done, I put it into my new Jar.  I had a little left over and I added the extra to the (Now empty) bucket for the Oxy Clean.  I added a Tablespoon Scoop as everything that I've read says that you won't need a lot of this with your Washing.  If you have a High Efficiency washer, I hear you have to add it directly, but that it doesn't suds a lot so it works just fine.

I did start using my soap already and my clothes come clean and have a pleasant smell.  If you like a little scent to your clothes, you can consider using a fabric softener, like Downy.  I wash things on Cold typically and the Fels Naptha dissolved just fine.

So, what's the next project?  Well, I didn't take pictures of the frames yet, but I am going to start my "Art Wall" tomorrow.  I will have to put up pictures as soon as I get them all taken... but in the meantime, may you all have a Happy and Productive 2012!

No comments: