Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Making Christmas, Making Christmas, La la La...


It's the Christmas Season again - time to get out those goal books, where you start planning the season, Planning next year, making resolutions - making Christmas - Making ... well, Stuff.

This year we are doing a lot of "making", "baking", and "taking".  I read on another website that something like 65% of all gifts this year will be homemade.  Now, I am also familiar with the fact that statistics can be manipulated, but since the majority of our gifts to others this year were homemade - well, I can't really argue the statistic that was set before me on that particular website. 

One of the things that we decided to do was pictures.  Now, I have never professed to be a great photographer like my sister.  In fact, though I do say that I have a good Eye for it (Some say I have two eyes for it), my equipment is really sub-par for what I want to do.  My brain knows that it would like to see in a picture, and no matter what I do, I just can't get it to do it.  So, I take lots and lots of pictures trying to get that ONE shot - and it just doesn't seem to turn out the right way.  You might see a lot of those coming out of me in recent days - 

So, to start - the picture above was taken after our power was knocked out during a wind storm a few weeks ago.  Rarely do I have the candles out - as much as I love candles, Ricky-roo doth not like them at all.  So, I don't bust out the candles that frequently.  But, with them out, I just got this idea - and I really love the glow.  So, I took a deep breath - held it as long as I could and steadied myself since I didn't have my tripod with me.  I was fond of the result, But I wanted more - I didn't get it that evening but I did get a few really good ideas.


Lights - yes, that's right - Lights.  Lights down at the Gallivan Center. Why there?  Because Temple Square was an absolute zoo the night that we went.  It was cold - it was miserable - there were people EVERYWHERE - and I don't know what it is, but people in large quantities amounts to terrible traffic because suddenly you lose your capacity to know how to drive appropriately.  Don't ask me why - it's just a personal observation.  But, we did go to the Gallivan center - where I played around with the settings on my camera and tried to get some interesting light pictures - Brokeh I think is what they call this.  I don't care what they call it really - it's pretty.


Besides that , I can use this image to make a lovely scrapbook page.  And for me, isn't that what it's all about anyway?  I think that one of my new years resolutions will be digital scrapbooking though.  Not that I don't like all of the paper and stuff, but I would really like to just drag and drop and make things completed... faster. (Insert smiley here)


This was one of my favorite pictures of the whole night.  When shooting with my Aperture setting, my shutter speed adjusts accordingly and I can't figure out how to speed it up even when I change my aperture.  So, It was, "Take a deep breath and hold still for as long as you can".  This also means that (because the kids can't hold still for forever while my camera does it's thing) that the majority of pictures were blurry.  But sometimes, they would just move - and I would get that cool "Ghostie" effect... this was not the type of picture, but I can appreciate it just the same. :)  He gave it a good effort - no, he really did. 


Either way, I Love Christmas lights.  I will be taking a lot more pictures while they are out for me to play around with. You might be sick of them by the time I am through, but that's alright. . . I don't mind.

No comments: